Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Roast Beast


Some time ago our family was given a very large roast beef. It is just fine at our house to accept all yummy, and some not so yummy, foods regardless of the peculiar story associated with it.



So we have this enormous, precooked roast beef slab, and we finally thawed it and decided to eat it. We did it on a weekend with all the hungry mouths here, and that was a brilliant move on my part.

Saturday:  club sandwiches with pickle spears
Sunday: French dip
Monday: beef fajitas 
Tuesday: roast beef on rolls with melted cheese and dipped in ranch or BBQ sauce
Wednesday:  French toast (we needed a break)
Thursday:   my mom's birthday party so we had Mexican food
Friday:  BBQ beef sandwiches

After the dinner clean up, I was done. I could not face another meal of roast beef! But, I couldn't waste all this high quality meat. And then genius struck; my 10 year old says, I wish that bag of meat was a bag of jerky.

Jerky! The holy grail of hungry teens and preteen boys everywhere. I rushed to Google, and I called my dad for advice. He was especially proud in that moment. And I put those left-left-way-left over roast beef strips in my oven and turned it down to 170, and after roughly 3 1/2 to 4 hours, I did indeed have jerky. 

I am the hero of the day for creating the ultimate man food. I didn't have to throw it away and I didn't have to invent another meal that included roast beef slices.