Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Lasagna Soup - Create a Soup


In a crazy fit of I'm-not-busy-enough motherhood, I signed two of my kids up for martial arts. They absolutely adore it. I love that they are getting their little butts active. It is wonderful on all levels except one...... The classes are 4 nights a week and they start at 5pm. That is absolutely exactly dinner making time. Everyday when 4 o'clock rolls around and I am starting to urge them to get a snack and get their bags and equipment packed, I think to myself "This is insane!" Karate, Snacks, Dinner, Hungry kids, "Hangry Babies" (hungry + angry = hangry).

And so in order to make this work I have resorted to using my slow cooking quite a bit more. That way the kids that are still at home between 5-7pm can eat a hot cooked meal, the kids who get home from lessons at 7 can have a nice dinner and I don't have to actually be standing IN my kitchen to make all that happen. (because I am not, I am standing in the Dojo).



I found this recipe for Lasagna Soup and it is KILLER!  I absolutely love the lasagna, but I hate to make it, and I think the frozen stuff is crap - you heard me - crap! So unless someone from the church group is going to be bringing me a giant pan of the stuff that they homemade this is the next best thing.


Here is what you need: Serves 6-8
1 lb ground beef  - I browned mine before
3 cups of beef broth
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TB dried parsley
1 TB dried basil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1, 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1, 6oz can of tomato paste
1 cup V8 (or any vegetable drink)
2 cups uncooked shell pasta
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of water


Optional topping- shredded cheese mixed with ricotta and italian seasoning. YES!! You want to make this!

1. First mix together the can of tomatoes, and tomato paste in crockpot.

2. Next add broth, beef, garlic, parsley, basil, onion, V8 and salt/pepper.

3. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

4. When 30 minutes are left of cook time, add in the 1 cup of water and noodles. Stir to combine. Put lid back on and continue cooking for 30 minutes.

NOTE:
If you like your soup to have more liquid,  feel free to add some extra broth and or water when you add the noodles.