Monday, March 11, 2013

Beans.. Beans... (sing along with me!)



This month one of the food spotlights at Food$ense is Legumes, or "Le'Guuuuumes," or beans. We ain't fancy around here

My local extension held a class on beans and made brownies with beans in them.  They were so good. LIKE- slap your Momma! good. And I consider myself at least a AAA league brownie taster.  I might not be in the majors, but I am better than most.  The hardest part is getting the bean puree smooth. Seriously, don't ruin brownies for everyone in your family by spoiling the secret and giving them a chunk of bean. They will not appreciate your attempt at sneaky nutrition as a good enough excuse for your betrayal. Blend, blend, blend!! 


And I need to share with you the ultimate bean-y goodness that I could eat everyday for lunch - and also snacks - but no one in my family appreciates me eating that many... eh  "musical fruits," Cowboy Caviar  seems to be the most popular name for it, but THIS one... is the one you want to make. The first recipe is not nearly as good and not as good for you at all!  I love this recipe because I can dump any beans that I want to into it. On Thursday I used: black beans, chick peas, black-eyed peas and kidney beans. I also sometimes use bell peppers and sometimes not - depending on how fresh they are - same with the avocado (but truth be told, the avocado makes it!). Just dress it with a little vinegar and lime, I even leave out the oil most times. This has got to be the best stuff alive. I will eat it with a handful of chips and then I realize the chips are just slowing me down and eat the stuff plain with a fork.  I always be sure I make enough to run some to my mom and sister at work, too. I believe sometimes they will mention that it sounds good, just so I will crave it and make us all some.  I made a huge bowl of it for the family party. We fed 30+ people, and then entire dish including two bags of chips was under 8.00$.  Not too shabby. 
  • If you are going to buy the tortilla chips labeled as Healthy, be sure to Read Your Label! - and be prepared to pay more. 
  • Whole Grain
  • Low Salt
  • Baked
  • Try Matzo Bread - or a Whole Grain cracker
  • Bake your own! This looks easy and so good, but I haven't tried it  




I wish I could report that I ate "healthy" chips with mine, but sadly, I don't. I eat cheap chips - so I try and break the chips into tiny pieces and eat mostly dip. - How is that for "Snappily reasoning".  But for those of you interested in that option I have some suggestions.