Friday, April 5, 2013

Salad for lunch

I love to eat salad. Or I guess a more correct phrase is that I love to eat salad my way. I adore crispy romaine lettuce. I buy it in the huge Costco packs and it never has a chance to spoil in my fridge.
I try to have a salad meal at least once a week, taco salad or pulled pork salad or 'big salad' is what we like to call a loaded chef's salad.
My kids eat salad nightly, it became one of my small weekly changes a while back and now is a wonderful habit. The dinner chore to be assigned is salad making instead of dishes or table clearing.
Here's how I did it.
  • Don't make salad an option, make the dressing an option, but everyone eats salad.
  • Start with a mild lettuce. Try not to get them hooked on iceberg because there is no nutrition in it. But the strong flavor of baby field greens may be a bit much to start with. Try red leaf, green leaf or romaine. And buy it in the head, it is much cheaper and tastes so much better.
  • Explain the benefits to them, and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at their desire to eat good food and take care of their bodies.
  • Offer salads for snacks!

Here is some fantastic salad information from Food $ense. I especially love the salad outburst game. You really can put anything on a salad. Let your imagination run wild.