Thursday, May 16, 2013

Summer Lunch Program


I had a sudden flash of (dare I call it) dread this week when I realized we have less than two weeks left of school this year! I look forward to summer with a strange mix of delight and abhorrence. I love having my kids home, but sometimes they get in my hair. 

I love having no place to be, but sometimes really miss having a schedule. I love that we have nothing to do, but I hate hearing… “MOM!, there is Nothing to do!”.

One thing that we did last summer that I am really looking forward to doing again this summer is the summer school lunch program. This was an absolute dream come true last year and if you are able to, I highly recommend that you do it with your kids.

My kids eat both breakfast and lunch at school, the cost of feeding them those meals at home can really add up, not to mention snacks and just boredom munching.   This summer lunch program gets us out of the house, it helps the kids to keep in touch with their school friends, I got to meet some amazing moms and we always stayed and played on the playground for a bit after. We were eating healthy AND being active.

I have done all the “hard work” for you.  HERE is a link to find where they are serving summer meals near you. This is the website that has all the information for the state of Utah. And here is the information nationally, but they will redirect you to your state site.

This is an amazing program; it changed our summer for the better immensely last year. It gave us enough of a schedule, the kids looked forward to the meal and to the play, and it really helped out our family with the grocery budget.