Friday, August 16, 2013

Tomatillo Salsa

We went to the Fruit Stand yesterday.  I love taking my 4 year old because everything is so new and exciting there for him. We usually find something that is new and exciting for me too. 
Yesterday we found Tomatillos and I remembered that my cousin has posted a recipe on Facebook for green salsa. It was kismet and I needed to try it. 
15 tomatillos
2 Anaheim chilies
1/2 large onion
1/2 tsp salt
handful of cilantro
juice of 1 lemon
The secret is to dry roast the tomatillos, chilies and onion in a pan until they're soft then puree everything together in the food processor.



The first thing we did when we got home was watch the YouTube video on what these things even were and what the heck I was supposed to be doing with them. I didn't even know how to peel or clean them; let alone cook them into a recipe that was going to be edible. They were very strange to me.  It turns out that I picked some that were over-ripe and some that were bad because I didn't know what I was looking for.  Chalk it up to experience and being hungry and feeling adventurous while shopping.

We began by running them under warm water and pulling the husks off. They have a sticky residue on them and the warm water seemed to remove it pretty well.
 We had to them cook them for our salsa. We decided to dry roast ours. There is a cast iron skillet here at the house that we used. But you could do it in the oven if you would like. It was fun to see them get all hot and wiggly and steamy inside.
 Once they were all nice and blackened, it was time to roast the peppers and the onions. I did them the same way.
 Then I tossed the whole mess into a blender, because I don't own a food processor. I added a handful of cilantro and a teeny bit of salt - and spun away.
 Oh it turned out so good. We practically drank the stuff. We had taco salad for dinner and most of us used it for our dressing. This is definitely going to become not just a family favorite but a staple around here.

And the best news is that we are just getting ready to start tomatillo season. We have months to look forward to eating this!