Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fresh Tomato Salsa with a Twist

My parents had some very good friends that went on vacation recently, and they needed someone to pick their garden while they were gone. How is that for the luckiest job of the week?!

I came home with the most delicious tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, and onions.  I hardly even had to think about it, making salsa was a given. So I ran to the store for peppers and cilantro and busted out the knives and cutting board. 
 Really, the only difficult part of making salsa at home is all the chopping. But if you are lucky enough to own a hand chopped or food processor your salsa making job just got a whole lot easier

I wore gloves to chop the Jalapenos, but that is my choice. If you are nervous about preparing jalapenos, HERE is an excellent information sheet that has lots of great tips. 



Yield:about 6 or 7 cups

Ingredients:
6 to 8 medium tomatoes, diced
½ medium red onion, diced
1 can black olives, drained and diced
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies*
2.3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Combine tomatoes, onion, olives, and green chilies in a medium mixing bowl. Add vinegar,
Garlic powder and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate and
Serve chilled. Serve with tortilla chips or alongside a fresh Mexican dish.

*If you want to use fresh green chilies you can roast them whole, under your own broiler,
Until the skins are blackened. Place in a plastic bag to sweat. Then peel away the skins,

deseed, dice and add to your salsa. For a hotter salsa add some jalapeno peppers as well


 I used fresh peppers because they are in season and I like to taste of the fresh tomatoes with fresh peppers.


 I also chopped up an avocado and put it into a bowl and then scooped some salsa over it. The taste was heavenly.


Does anyone else need me to come and pick all their tomatoes?