Monday, September 23, 2013

Hello Fall .. Hello Winter Squash

As of yesterday, it is officially Fall.  I am sure we will still have some warm days before the crisp and cool ones arrive and there is still summer produce a plenty. But let's get ready for my most favorite time of year. 
Autumn!

The market had these wild squash for sale. Aren't they crazy? Do you know you can eat them all - even if they are strange looking. 


If you aren't sure how to handle your winter squash, Food $ense has provided us with a Fact Sheet that can teach us everything we need to know to use these awesome vegetables.


Food $ense also has some Farmer's Market Recipes that I am itching to try. First the Winter Vegetable Hash and then the Acorn Squash and Apple Soup.  I seriously have such a love affair with squash in soups. My mom makes a pumpkin coconut curry soup that will warm you to your toes. I love it!  We even ate it one year instead of turkey on thanksgiving. It was the best Thanksgiving in recent years.