Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad

I have been wanting to make this salad since I first looked over what was spotlighted in January. I have been waiting to find a good batch of avocadoes at the store to use, and I didn't find them until today. Lucky for me, since the month is coming to an end.






This is an exceptionally easy green salad that you can throw together in a matter of minutes. I even used the pre-sectioned grapefruit that is available now and so I had this assembled in under 5 minutes.

The grapefruit is a great tart pairing with the sweet creamy avocado and the spice of the onion and the vinegar in the dressing is amazing.  If you feeling nervous about eating the red onion raw leave your slices really big so you can pick them out.

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad

2 pink or red grapefruit
1 tablespoon juice from grapefruit
4 cups romaine lettuce
1 avocado, sliced thin
¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut skin and membrane away from grapefruit. Reserve 1 tablespoon juice from fruit. Place fruit in large
bowl.
Add lettuce, avocado, and onion to bowl. Toss gently.
Mix grapefruit juice, olive oil, vinegar, and sugar together. Drizzle over salad.
Season with salt and pepper as desired.