Monday, June 9, 2014

French Bread Pizza with Homemade Sauce

 Here are our house, just like I am sure is true at your house, pizza is always a hit.  I think we have easy pizza -pleasers because most of ours will eat two kinds of pizza; pepperoni and hawaiian, but sometimes I want some different, something new and special and a little bit wild.


So we decided on Sunday afternoon to have a little bit of lunch fun and make individual pizzas. We decided not to go with dough and instead used french rolls. Any hard crusty roll will do (We thought about using Hoagie Buns, but they didn't have enough packs of them at the store). You can even use the giant loaves of french bread that your local store bakery makes daily and sells hot and fresh. 



I have always used just a jar of spaghetti sauce for the pizza sauce, but it wasn't my favorite thing to do. If I was going to be "really serious" about the homemade pizza I would buy a little jar of pizza sauce (and hate myself for spending so much money on such a little jar!) But yesterday, I decided - for you guys actually - to make my own pizza sauce.  

Well it turned out AH-Mazing!! I will never buy pizza sauce again and this is going to go on our regularly rotating menu. It was that big of a hit. The kids loved it, everybody got what they wanted, and I got to use up lots of leftover little morsels in the fridge and tell the kids they were "fun" pizza toppings. 

EASY PIZZA SAUCE YOUR KIDS WILL MAKE

Ingredients
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce 
1/2 teaspoon dried basil or  oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt 
1/8 teaspoon black pepper 
 pinch of sugar (optional) 
Directions
Mix the tomato sauce, basil, garlic salt, and pepper in a small bowl.



Can you believe that was all there was to the recipe?!  I should have started making my own pizza sauce a long time ago.  We ended using so much sauce for pizza making and then "dipping" I had to make a second batch. Making both took me less than 4 minutes and that counts opening the can too. 


On to the pizza, gather your toppings. We had sausage, pepperoni, salami, canadian bacon, black and green olives, pineapple, and mushrooms. I don't really have any huge green pepper fans, so I didn't bother with one of those, but I bet if I had chopped an onion that would have made it onto most pizzas too. 


Then I had them each make their own pizza on top of a roll.  I tried to let myself go a little and not be crazy-mom-lady yelling at them "not to use to much cheese" or tell them how they had to layer their toppings so they would "stick" to the bread right.  I just let it flow and tried to let them have a good time their very own way.  I even relaxed enough to let my 5 yr old just have pineapple and cheese on his pizza. (no protein! - argh)



They didn't turn out especially beautiful. They boys were much more interested in what they tasted like than how they looked. But it was not only a really great meal, but it made for wonderful family time and I think happy memories were made by all.  That makes it something we are for sure going to be doing again.