Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Brown Sugar Muffins


I have created muffin eating monsters! It all started with the fluffy Zucchini Muffins we made a few weeks ago and they have been begging for and consuming muffins non-stop every since.

This is a really great thing because muffins are super easy to make and you can hide lots and lots of Good for You stuff inside a muffin. Whenever I made muffins I exchange half the flour for a whole grain / whole wheat flour instead of using just all white flour. The kids don't even notice the difference anymore (to be honest with you, I don't even notice either anymore). 


My mom used to make these while I was growing up and their simple flavor and the delicate texture has always made them one of my favorites. They are a great recipe to start making with your kids because the measurements are very easy and there are very few ingredients.  They whip up in less time than it will take to clean up your kitchen after while the kids lick the beaters. 

Ingredients:

2 cups flour (I use half all purpose flour and half a whole grain flour)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup butter


 Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream vanilla, brown sugar and butter.
Add egg and milk.
In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.



 Fill each cup of a muffin tin 2/3 full.
Bake 15 minutes.


I think they might actually eat them faster when they have made them on their own. These were disappearing faster than I could take pictures of them.

And as a bonus, My biggest helper had such a good experience he asked if he could help make dinner tonight! Score!!