Monday, September 1, 2014

Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread




Many years ago when I was an avid baker (and calorie consumer), one of my favorite things to make was this Lemon Cake from Ina Garten more famously known as The Barefoot Contessa.

The cake was amazingly bright and lemony with a sweet syrup and the added luxury of an additional glaze. My dad absolutely loves lemon and so I would always make it for him when he came to visit. 

I haven't made it in a really long time and so when I came across this recipe for a glazed lemon zucchini bread, I knew it was something I was going to need to make (for the both of us!) 



Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
2 cups cake flour ( I used my standard ratio of 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 TB lemon juice
1/2 cup buttermilk
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup grated zucchini

Glaze ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB milk




I don't do it for all my zucchini baking recipes, but I do think it makes a difference in this one, once you have grated your zucchini spread it out onto a layer of paper towels and squeeze the excess moisture out of the shreds. 



Instructions

Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat eggs. Then add oil and sugar until well blended. Add lemon juice, buttermilk, lemon zest to this mixture and blend all together.
Fold in zucchini until it is mixed well.
Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend all together until well combined.
Pour batter into greased 9x5 loaf pan.



Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
While still warm, make glaze and spoon over the bread. Let the glaze set up before cutting and serving.

I went ahead and doubled the recipe so that it would make two loaves. I knew I wanted to give one away to my dad. I am so glad that I did. This turned out absolutely Amazing! I will make it again for sure, most probably very soon.