Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Why I Try So Hard - Gooey Marshmallow Popcorn


Today is my husband's birthday - That doesn't mean much to you, but we make it kind of a big deal around here. We like to celebrate birthday-weeks and generally say, "my Goodness!! we are so glad that you are alive" as many times, and in as many ways as possible. I usually make a batch of gooey, sticky caramel popcorn (because it is one of his most favorite treats) and we watch movies that he gets to choose (because I am a TV show kind of a girl).

With this special birthday and the big Gratitude holiday tomorrow, I have had a few things on my mind - mainly, Food and Family. Have you noticed in life that so much of life involves those two things going together. From the moment we are born (and people are bringing casseroles and dinner over to support the new family) to when we die (and people again are bringing over hot dishes and desserts to help the family grieve). All year long during holidays and special events, we have family and food intertwined. From the special dishes that we eat at certain holidays, to who makes them and how they are presented - Food and Family are a huge part of all our lives. (And not just because we need to keep eating every day to live.) But we need food to feel Alive.


I have learned a lot in the last year and a half processing the Food $ense lessons and teachings. I am not an expert (or even half and expert) by any means, but I am progressing. But I am a pretty diligent "Work in Progress". Because it is work, this learning and growing and doing hard things that I have never done before. Doing things that are hard for me. And most importantly Not giving up!! Even when I don't be as "good" as I should. Because constantly making better choices and progressing is a million times better than failing once and giving up. 


Because I love my kids, I love my family, I am learning to love myself. And we are ALL worth the time and effort that is it taking to take better care of us. We are much too important and much much to special to not have the very best. Your family and Your loved ones are Too! They are worth the time that it takes to make a meal at home. They are worth the effort that it takes to learn to cook and prepare healthy meals. They are worth breaking old bad habits and learning new healthy ones.  And we are all worth never giving up - even when we don't make perfect decisions or we feel like we have failed. 



Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn

Ingredients
1 package microwave popcorn, popped
½ cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup or honey
½ tsp. vanilla
12 large marshmallows



Instructions
1. Pop popcorn until done, remove any unpopped kernels. - Take the time to sort through the popcorn and make sure you take out all the kernels. They are NOT awesome in the gooey caramel-ness.

2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.



3. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and marshmallows.


4. Turn heat to medium and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is
smooth.


5. Pour over popcorn and stir in until popcorn is evenly coated.

6. Store in an airtight container. If you need to - but I have no doubt you will have none leftover to save.