Monday, March 9, 2015

Homemade Pancake Mix




I know that I have mentioned before that we do "Breakfast for Dinner" on Sunday nights. Sometimes we make waffles, or french toast, but almost always it is pancakes. 

We have become a little picky about our pancakes. We want them to taste really really amazing, have fantastic texture - light and fluffy and definitively NOT rubbery like some pre-mixed brands can be. 

My sister's father-in-law makes these killer pancakes - everyone in their family just screams for them. He always makes them on holidays and when they are camping and for special request birthdays and such. I tried his recipe and it was really good. But as like all great cooks, he didn't really Use a recipe. That makes it pretty hard to duplicate - like all those grandmas out there baking bread and measuring the flour in handfuls!! OH the humanity!!


So we have been testing a lot of pancake recipes here at our house. My husband has some ideas about how they are suppose to be, and I have some ideas too. This recipe is the great compromise. It is THE pancake recipe for our house.

I absolutely love it because I can mix / substitute whole wheat flour for as much or as little as I want to. If you are easing into getting your family to eat whole grain / wheat flour then you might want to start with a small ration of 1 part wheat to 3 parts All Purpose flour.  We have gotten pretty fancy around here and I use 1 part All Purpose flour, 1 Part whole wheat flour, and 2 parts whole wheat Pastry flour.

I don't know if you readily have access to this where you live. I have to order mine online, but it doesn't cost too much and for baking and getting your family accustomed to whole grain / wheat flour it is amazing!!



Ingredients

Dry pancake mix ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour  ( this is where you can get creative with your ratios. - you can even add Buckwheat flour or Spelt flour and have amazing but just a bit different pancakes - Buckwheat ones are the Bomb!!)
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar


To Make Pancakes
1 cup pancake mix above
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon melted butter or oil




Instructions
Dry Pancake Mix
1. Combine all ingredients. (You can easily double or triple this part)
2. Store tightly sealed in a cool dry place.


To Make Pancakes
1. Preheat & lightly grease a griddle or pan over medium to high heat.
2. Combine 1 cup of pancake mix with egg, milk & butter or oil.
3. Pour ⅓ cup batter and cook until bubbles on the surface of the pancakes have popped (about 3-4
minutes). Flip and cook until the underside is light golden (another 1 – 2 minutes).


Notes
Each 1 cup of dry pancake mix will make approximately 5 pancakes.

This means not only do I double the mix when I make it - I also double the recipe when I am cooking it (at least). I have boys that somedays can eat 5 pancakes by themselves - Hollow Leg Syndrome




 Put your mix in an air tight container, and keep it in your pantry.



Be sure you label it, and you are ready to roll.  If you are much more creative and artistic then me, you can print something out on your computer that is colorful and darling. I just used and index card and a sharpie - that is how I roll!