Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Baked Spaghetti - Create a Casserole


I really enjoy eating lasagna - I how ever do NOT enjoy making lasagna. And I think it goes without saying that the box stuff you buy from the freezer section is crap.

My only hope previously has been to have a baby or become really ill and have the women from the church and neighborhood bring me a home baked lasagna.

That is.... Until Now!



Oh my, look at all that layered cheesy gooey meaty goodness. Doesn't it make you want to just slice into it and savor the hours of hours of cooking that went into it - Suprise.. It doesn't take even 30 minutes to prepare.

My mom used to make baked spaghetti - I hated it. It was saucy and by "saucy" I mean watery and oozy (not cheesy) - It was neither bake lasagna or twirly spaghetti. It was no-man's-land.


This recipe however, has eggs in with the noodles and that "sets" the noodles into a firm form - The cottage cheese is sooo much easier (and cheaper) than buying ricotta and specialty cheeses.

I could eat this every night - so could my kids (plus lunch leftovers the next day).


Ingredients:
1 package spaghetti
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar meatless spaghetti sauce
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
5 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese



Directions:

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat.

Place half of the spaghetti mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.