Monday, December 21, 2015

Pizza Hoagies


This is one of those recipes that really isn't a recipe at all. It is more of just something that I heard about someone doing and I thought, I really should do that. And I did.. and it worked out.... and so I keep doing it. 

So yah, Pizza Hoagies, the name isn't very glamorous, and essentially they are just a meatball sub for people who are too lazy to make meatballs (me). My kids think they are awesome.. and with the way that I make them, I always always make some for later - in fact, Later is actually the point of the Pizza Hoagie. 


I make these when I find ground beef on sale - like SUPER sale... practically free sale. But as you have probably noticed, most often when ground beef goes on sale, it goes on sale in the huge giant 5lb ++ packages.  That is a lot of ground beef to be using. (Even for Us). 

But as we were Christmas shopping this weekend, we swung over to the other end of the store to pick a few things up for dinner - and I saw that 10lbs of ground chuck was 1/2 PRICE! I snagged that so fast, in fact.. I got two (I'm going to make make-ahead meatballs tomorrow) 

It is going to work out perfectly, I made these last night for dinner, I made a ton for the fridge / freezer. We had boys arrive for California last night and school is out on Wednesday.  I'm totally prepared for the "I'm Hungry, what is there to eat?" questions. 


So to make the magical Pizza Hoagie, You'll need: 

Ingredients:

Ground Beef
Hoagie Buns
Mozzarella Cheese
Spaghetti Sauce

The amount of each totally depends on how much ground beef you use - for 10 lbs, I used 4 packs of buns (8 each) and two cans of spaghetti sauce - and you know... about { ---- } that much cheese. 


In your largest skillet, brown your ground beef. I used my electric skillet, because it is by far my biggest. 

Then add your spaghetti sauce, I add enough to make it saucy - because I think they taste a little yummier when the bread soaks up a little bit of sauce - you can always add more, you can't take any away. 

Take a hoagie roll and put a few scoops of meat on it, since I make these for later, I do not over-fill the buns. You don't want stuff squishing out everywhere. 

Then I add a healthy layer of mozzarella cheese. 

That's It!  Eat 'em up!! 

 

To save them for later, I wrap them up in 2 layers of plastic wrap. If everyone is going to be home a lot I keep them in the fridge, if they are going to be out and about a bit more, I'll put them in the freezer. 





To warm them up - if it is has been in the fridge, just microwave it for 45 seconds to a minute - then let sit for 2 minutes. 

if it has been in the freezer, microwave it for a minute, flip it over and then for another minute.