Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Burst Heirloom Tomato Sauce


My local farm stand had the most beautiful heirloom tomatoes and I just couldn't resist how beautiful they were. I'm a terrible sucker for anything at the beginning of its season. I always feel like I have missed it so much and I can't wait to eat it again.

I really wanted to make something with the tomatoes that would make them stand out. That would still let me see how different each one was and how good they tasted. 



Ingredients:

1 pound pasta
Kosher salt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 pints small heirloom tomatoes
1 large yellow onion
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of sugar

Freshly grated Parmesan (for serving)


Instructions:
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain and transfer to a large bowl.



Meanwhile, heat oil in a 12" skillet or wide heavy saucepan over medium-high. Add garlic, then tomatoes, pepper, sugar, and 1 tsp. salt. 


Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes burst and release their juices to form a sauce, 6–8 minutes.



Toss pasta with tomato sauce. Top with Parmesan.