Saturday, July 16, 2016

Swiss Chard Scrambled Eggs



If you are looking to make some painless healthy changes to your life, a really easy and delicious (which are two Really Good things) way to do it is to add vegetables to breakfast. 

I can't tell you which is more impressive, that this breakfast was so easy to make, so darn good for me, or the fact that it looks beautiful and fancy enough to be on a brunch menu at a luxury hotel. 


I am very quickly falling in love with chard. The flavor is amazing and the fact that it delicate like spinach makes me a huge fan since I am still trying to convince myself that kale isn't like chewing the bark of a tree. (Just kidding Kale, I'm trying... really I am)

But with all the nutrients and vitamins in Chard, I may not have to keep working so hard at liking kale. 


Ingredients: 

1tablespoon olive oil
1small sweet onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
4 to 6 leaves Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves chopped
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup grated cheese, I used my shredded cheddar jack mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


I had my chard prepped ahead of time. When I brought home my CSA box, I prepped the whole box, including separating the chard stems from the leaves.  Prepping in a huge key for us to eating our fruits and veggies and I am much more likely to toss a handful of greens into a dish if they are already washed and chopped and literally all that I have to do is toss a handful out of the bag into the dish.



 Instructions:

Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.

Add chard and sauté until wilted, about 2 minutes.

Add eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until eggs are set.