Friday, September 23, 2016

Veggie Filled P.F. Chang Lettuce Wraps



 P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps are a seriously HUGE internet copycat sensation. Everyone with a food blog has practically done it - this is actually my second time.  - But this time, I wanted to save money and make it a little more veggie friendly, so I chopped up pretty much every vegetable that I had in my fridge and added it to the meat mixture.

SERIOUS WIN! I will never ever ever make them the other way again.


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground chicken
2 Cups total chopped Veggies ( I used Cauliflower, Zucchini, Celery - but you could try Broccoli, Carrots, Mushrooms, Sweet Potato or Butternut Squash Cubes)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon Sriracha, optional
1 (8-ounce) can whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 head butter lettuce (Butter lettuce is used traditionally, but I had Romaine in the fridge)


Instructions:

Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.

In a separate pan, (or in the same chicken skillet - with the cooked chicken removed) add your veggies and cook them to your desired done-ness. I wanted mine to stay crisp so I cooked mine for just a few minutes.  Then add your chicken back to the pan. 

Stir in garlic, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger and Sriracha until onions have become translucent, about 1-2 minutes.

Stir in chestnuts and green onions until tender, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.

To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style.