Monday, January 16, 2017

Egg and Ham Breakfast Burritos



When I make take the time to make these, I wonder why I don't do it more often. It makes life so much easier for all my hungry men in the morning. Days start pretty early around here and these are there most favorite breakfast in the world.  - It doesn't get much cheaper than eggs, potatoes and a tortilla either. 


While I'm not going to give you a specific recipe. - Because I don't use one. I just sorta make them with what I have or what I found on sale and then I make them until I run out of filling.  I am going to give you the instructions to how I do it, and what I think makes them successful. 



 I cook all my ingredients separately and then add them all together. I don't worry about warming up the ham, but if you were going to add bacon or sausage, you would want to cook that before.  If I make them with onions or peppers, I also cook those before.  I always cook the potatoes / hash browns separately so I can get them nice and crispy. And then I cook the eggs very last.  I just cook them and then add them to a giant bowl as I am done cooking them. I don't mind that they are all together, I just think they cook so differently that it is hard to get it "right" when doing it all at once.


  I also let the filling cool off significantly before I fill the burritos. I added a lot of cheese to these, so once towards the end of filling them, they weren't so easy to scoop up. but if your filling is too hot, your burritos will get soggy. 

I like to buy the really really big tortillas, so I can make really big burritos.  I wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer bag. 

When you are ready to eat them, put it in the microwave on high for a minute - since these are so big, they take almost a minute and 45 seconds and then I always always let them sit for a minute or so. I think these helps the heat distribute, but I could be wrong. 


When I made these this last weekend, I cooked 2 cartons with 18 eggs in each of them. It took me less than a hour from start to finish to make 20 burritos for the boys during the week.  I don't know if they'll last that long - they have been disappearing quite fast as midnight snacks and such.  But they are totally worth the time to make a batch for your family.