Friday, April 14, 2017

Marshmallow Bird Nests with Chow Mein Noodles


My Mother-in-law used to make these for her kids growing up. We make them now at our house and although the recipe is very very simple, the sticky mess is so much fun.  We end up eating lots more of them than make it onto the plates, but that is kinda the point of it isn't it. 


Easter Bird Nests : 

2 cups Mini Marshmallows - or 3/4 of a bag of large marshmallows
1/4 cup Butter
4 cups of Chow Mein Noodles
Jelly Beans, M&M's or Robin's Eggs to fill



I start these by cutting up squares of wax paper or parchment paper. You can do it on one big sheet, but if I cut the squares, I can put a few squares in front of each baker and let them loose.

In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.  Add marshmallows, stir and microwave 45 seconds on full power.  Stir; microwave an additional 45 seconds.  Stir; add Chow Mein noodles.  Stir until coated with marshmallow/butter mixture.

Rub a little bit of butter on your hands. (You can use baking spray here, but I have always used butter, so I just keep doing the same)

Spoon the coated Chow Mein noodles into each cut of paper, then use your hands to form it into little nests.

** if you want more of a tidy nest, you can grease muffin tins with baking spray or butter and shape the nests in the muffin cups.

Add your eggs, we have used Robin Eggs in the past, but since they started making M&M peanut butter eggs, I really like to use those - because I think they are yummier.  You can use jelly beans as well.

Put the pan in freezer for an hour or so to set up.