Monday, April 3, 2017

Super Power Bowls with Lemon Tahini Dressing


I hope you guys are enjoying making bowl meals as much as I am. I have been prepping on Saturday and then packing lunches for the week. 

I have been using the ingredients that I have had on hand or found on sale during the weekly store ads. 

Making a bowl meal is much more of a method than a recipe. All you need is some bulk at the bottom. You can use rice, noodles or even salad greens. 

Then just top with anything that suits your fancy. I try and do something sweet, something crunchy, a protein and as many fruits and veggies as I can pack in. 


The lemon Tahini dressing was a new one for me.  I actually liked it a lot. We went to the health food store and actually bought tahini, but when we run out, I will just use hummus to make the dressing again. Instead of buying an expensive ingredient that I am not sure how much I'll use. 


Ingredients:

Lemon Tahini Dressing: 

⅓ cup tahini 
⅓ cup water
¼ cup lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ tsp cumin 
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt

Bowl: 

2.5 cups cooked rice or other grain 
15 oz. can chickpeas 
4 oz. bag baby greens or your lettuce of choice ( I used romaine)
2-3 small beets 
2 zucchini
3 carrots
1 small red cabbage
1 avocado
½ bunch green onions
½ cup sunflower seeds


Instructions:

To make the dressing, put all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. If you don't have a blender, mince the garlic, then whisk the ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate the dressing until ready to use.

Cool the cooked rice, if needed.

Drain the can of chickpeas.

Wash the beets, zucchini, and carrots well. Use a food processor or large-holed cheese grater to shred the beets, zucchini, and carrots. Remove any wilted outside leaves from the cabbage, then cut into quarters, and remove the core. Shred the cabbage using a food processor, or slice thinly with a knife.

Slice the avocado and green onion.

To build the bowls, place about ½ cup of the cooked rice in a bowl along with about ¼ cup of chickpeas. Add a handful of baby greens, shredded beets, zucchini, carrots, and cabbage.

Top with a few slices of avocado and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds and sliced onion.

Finally, drizzle the lemon tahini dressing liberally over the bowl, then eat.