Monday, May 8, 2017

Chili Lime Cantaloupe


One of the things that I just love about food is finding simple flavor combinations that compliment each other. Taking something simple and adding one or two flavors to compliment it and you having something just incredible. 


This cantaloupe recipe is just that type of experience. My family loves cantaloupe and we eat a lot of it. It was on sale at my local store and so we bought a few of them. Two of them were perfectly ripe and so delicious and got eaten as fast as I could cut them. The third was still a bit on the "green" side, but I had cut it anyway and didn't want it to not get eaten. 


I have had lime and chili with Jicama before and really liked it, although I felt like the Jicama wasn't adding much to the equation, I really love the combo of lime and chili. 



 Ingredients:
1 medium cantaloupe, cut into cubes
fresh lime juice - start with 1/2 and then add to taste
1 Tbsp honey
⅛ tsp salt
⅛ tsp crushed red pepper (add slowly, you can easily get too hot)



Instructions:

Wash your cantaloupe before you cut into it - Trust me! this is an important step.

Cut the cantaloupe in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Use your preferred method to cut the melon into cubes.

In a small bowl, combine the juice of half a lime (about 1.5-2 Tbsp), honey, salt, and crushed red pepper. Stir until the honey is dissolved.

Pour the dressing over the sliced cantaloupe and toss to coat the melon in the dressing.

Serve immediately, or chill until ready to eat.