Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Super Wow Fish Taco Sauce


I know that Fish Tacos are something that people can get really passionate about. I completely understand that - fresh beautiful seafood with some crunchy veggies and a crispy outside and tender on the inside. What is not to be in love with. 

But fish tacos at our house are just fish sticks in a tortilla. I usually have some veggies to add it them. I like broccoli slaw, but we have added lettuce and coleslaw mix, I think you need to have a little something crunchy to go with the mix. 

But since I am not a huge fan of fish (fish sticks) I try and make a yummy sauce to go with them. 


I usually make my Simplest Fancy Fish Tacos. But they have an Avocado Coconut Cream sauce and a Mango Cucumber salsa. While neither of those is hard to make and I can just whip them up in the time the fish sticks are cooking. 

I was looking for something just a little bit different. - and maybe just a little bit more spicy. 


While the other recipes have a lot of fresh ingredients - this one has ingredients mostly from your pantry with a pepper and a lime. It takes me less trips to the store to make it. 


Ingredients:

1/2 cup Greek yogurt 
1/2 cup mayonnaise 
1 lime, cut in half
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon capers, minced (this is more annoying that hard, but I wanted the pieces to be really small so nobody would pick them out and say they hated them!) 
1 hot pepper of your choice, seeded and minced (I used jalapeno here) 
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (This isn't a lot so if you aren't going to use it later, I would leave it out)


Instructions:

In a small bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt and mayonnaise until well blended.

Then squeeze the juice from one half of the lime into mixture, then whisk thoroughly. 

At this point, you'll want to taste it a bit and see if it is "tangy" enough for you. You'll also want to check the consistency and see if it is thin enough to pour over your tacos. Add more lime juice to adjust to thinner sauce or more mayonnaise to have a thicker sauce. 

Add all of the spices, and whisk to mix thoroughly. Then capers, minced pepper and cilantro, and give it a final mix. 

You are going to want to cover it and then put in in the fridge to get all happy and yummy for at least an hour - it will be even more mind blowing the next day. So I like to make it when I have time in the morning on the night's we'll have these for dinner. 

When you are ready to eat just spoon over your fish tacos. This is also fantastic on beef or chicken tacos and the leftover sauce has Definitely made it into a rice bowl or two !!  It is Super WOW sauce after-all.