Wednesday, August 16, 2017

How Do I Make Dinner From the Farmer's Market?


For most of the year I meal plan by looking at the ads in my local paper and store advertisements, then based on what is on sale, I make my menu plan and then do my shopping. 

It makes the most sense to me to plan first and then with what I already have on hand make a shopping list and then buy the food. 

But in the summer months when my local farmer's market opens and begins to sell a lot of produce and the farm stands by my house are open for business. I do my menu planning a little bit backwards, But I'll explain to you why that makes sense. 


When you get to the farmer's market different things will be on sale depending on what time it is in the season. 

When the markets by me open, they sell a lot of greens, lettuce, kale, chard - the peas are one of the first crops to come on and cherries are pretty early as well. 

When the weather starts to turn really warm, it is just too hot for a lot of the spring crops but the summer fruits and vegetables start to be widely available. I able to find tomatoes, corn, peppers, melons, cucumbers, new potatoes, carrots, beets - I always try and find basic fresh ingredients, cilantro, green onions, and garlic, those are items that I like to almost everything.

Depending on how early or later (or right in the middle) you are in the season, prices and availability will vary. Right now, with the weather and conditions, my local market is over-flowing with tomatoes, the harvest it way larger than planned and so I can get them for a lot less than I would normally pay.  


I buy at the market, what is the most in season and costs the least, those first peaches might be tempting, but they can still be very costly. 

Once I have made my purchases at the market, I bring all home to wash and prep them. Cut up carrots and wash and spin my greens for storage. I actually husk my corn and store in in a plastic zip back for quick cooking and ease of storage, corn with the husks still on can take up a lot of room in the fridge. 

The Big Salad - The first night. we always have a big "salad". Since I am chopping and washing and spinning we just have that for dinner. It isn't really structured and most of the time, I let everyone make their own. This week, we had sliced tomatoes on a plate, sliced cucumbers, fresh corn and I cut a watermelon. It doesn't really look like a salad, but that is what I try to make the first night, since my main focus is on getting everything clean and stored in a way that will make it last all week. 

The Snack Platter - This is actually one of my family's favorite meals. I get all the produce (that I don't have specific plans for) out of the fridge and begin to assemble a platter, I put carrot sticks, lots of times I am able to get both broccoli and cauliflower from my market. I always add whatever fruit is in season, cherries, apricots, pears, peaches and eventually apples. I usually with make some hummus or a veggie dip with greek yogurt and slice some cheese. If the platter is looking a little thin, I'll add some whole grain crackers and we're good to go.  ** This is also a Great end-of-the-week meal, since you can just pull out everything that hasn't been eaten yet and hasn't be used yet. 


Pasta and Veggies - Don't get too caught up in the "I don't have a recipe for pasta". You can make it hot the first night and cold for lunch the next day. Cook your pasta (any shape), and add your veggies. You can add them raw if you like, I usually steam them for this, since I have a bit pot of water boiling anyway. For sauce, I mix a bit of olive oil and a dash of vinegar with some mrs. dash seasoning and it is good to go. It's different every time, so I never feel like I am eating the same thing. If you are nervous about making your own sauce, buy a bottle of Italian dressing and just use that. It can be cold or hot, you can add some grilled chicken or I love to add a cans of beans to mine for a bit of protein. Don't forget greens can be Amazing in pasta! - My favorite pasta to make has lots of spinach. 

Roasted on Bread - This might sound a bit crazy, but trust me, it is so darn good. 

Here is my "recipe" for Cheese Toast with Skillet Veggies. 

The reason that I like this one so much is that you can use it towards the end of the week, when things are looking a little... Uh, less fresh.  You can toss your veggies in a hot skillet, I put mine in the oven and roast them at 425 degrees. Spread some soft cheese on toasted bread and then pile high with veggies. Although it sounds a little bit "rustic" this is a really impressive dinner. It is fancy rustic and if you want, you can pretend that you paid 17.99$ for a plate of it at a fancy restaurant. 

Don't be afraid to buy things at your farmer's market because you aren't sure what to do with them.  Let the produce speak for itself, I buy lots and lots and lots of peaches and I have never a peach pie in my life. We eat them on cereal, with yogurt in parfaits, plain and in smoothies. When you start to eat food fresh from the farm it actually tastes better - I think carrots taste entirely different from my local grower that the baby carrots that I buy in the store during the winter months. Let the food speak for itself.  Pile all your goodies on a plate and call it dinner.  - If I pile it onto a platter and call it "snacks" my kids will eat it up and ask for more.