Monday, September 11, 2017

How to Have a (Mostly) Pleasant Meal with Your Family



It was not too long ago in my life, where I dreaded family meals like none other. 
I would actually prepare the food and then leave and go into another room and let Joseph feed them in shifts or attempt to have a meal with them. It was at times, very unpleasant. 

I'm not suggesting by any means that it is always sunshine and smiles now, but I have learned a few trips that help me not to shoot myself in the foot while I am trying to implement this important family necessity. 

* Make sure no one is starving - low blood sugar, blind hunger rage, and kids (and adults) that can't remember the last time they ate are not pleasant people.  If dinner is going to be a while, have a snack. You aren't going to ruin your dinner, you might actually just save it. 


* Be a family.  - tell them why you are trying so hard to do this, tell them how much it means to you. Look each person in the eye across the table and say, I am so glad we are here together. 


* Try to make a very special meal. Make up a reason if you have to, but do something new, something fresh every so often.  And I don't mean steak and lobster. Have a picnic, use fancy napkins. Make the tuna noodle casserole you surviced on through college and swore you'd never make again.  Make connections with food. 

* Everyone Helps. Cook & Clean Up. Nobody is too little, to busy or too tired. Many hands make like work, and the more everyone in the family makes the experience happen, the more they each want it to be a success. 
* Keep the energy positive! Focus on having a wonderful family experience rather than worrying about correcting everyone’s behavior. Enjoy the time – make it pleasant to be together!