Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Couple That Eats Together, Stays Together


I want to mention a few thoughts that I have had with you about Family Mealtime - the Couple's edition.  Perhaps you feel like you don't need to just sit down and have dinner with your partner, because you are young and busy, or your kids' have left home and now you are really really busy. 

But having meals together as a couple is just as important as eating together as a family.  

Eating together helps you connect with each other.

It can be hard to focus on each other if you are busy raising a family. Lots of time we work non-traditional work shifts, or split the running around and childcare at home. It can be difficult finding time to just be able to focus on each other. Planning on having a meal together can mean you are devoting time to do just that, connecting with each other without distractions. 

Eating together can give you time to be grateful.

Perhaps this looks like saying grace, or a mealtime prayer, it can be as simple as beginning with something that you are feeling positive or happy about, or that you realize how lucky you are feeling. Lots of times, for Joseph and I, we just start with... " I am SO grateful to have some time to be with you". 

Eating together helps you relax.

After a long day, we can all benefit from the simple pleasures that can come from preparing and enjoying a meal. I like the time after to spend cleaning up dinner, preparing for the next day and making sure my house and especially kitchen are clean. This makes me whole day go well the next day, and it is always better to do together. 

Eating together encourages mindful eating.

I noticed the other night when Joseph and I were having lunch together, that it took us almost 45 minutes to eat lunch. It just so happened that we were all alone as it was the first week of school and we lingered over our salads and laughed and had an impromptu date right there. It was wonderful to talk about how much we enjoyed the beets on our salads and question when we began mixing our salad dresssings in such a way.  Every thing is better when enjoyed with someone that you love. 

Eating together improves nutrition

I know when I’m cooking and eating by myself, I put far less effort into my meals. When I’m cooking for two, (or three, or more..... )  I’m far more likely to plan something nutritious and go to the effort of making a side salad or some extra vegetables.

Eating together is fun!

One of life’s greatest pleasures is sharing good food with the one you love. Life is too short to miss out on this simple joy and all the good things it can bring to our relationships.