Friday, August 25, 2017

Simple Blender Hummus


Once upon a time, I was actually afraid to try hummus. I was really so nervous, I really am laughing at myself remembering it right now. I think my first taste of it was probably an almost invisible amount. And I remember thinking... this tastes a lot like taco seasoning. - is that a strange thought. 

Now I am an all sorts of hummus fiend.  A Fiend! I tell you. 

It makes the best spread on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise and it makes a great dip for all kinds of veggies. But at the rate that my family eats hummus, buying it for 4.00$ for a small tub gets pretty dang expensive for my family. This essentially costs me the price of a can of beans. I have bought some tahini, and it was not expensive and is frankly lasting Forever!  

If you have a fondness for hummus, I must encourage you to make your own. It is out of this world! I am a crazy food hero in my family since I make this. 



Ingredients

1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
2 tbsp good quality olive oil
2 tbsp good quality tahini
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 small garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water as required to process
1/2 tsp salt

Additional olive oil, paprika, sumac & chopped fresh mint/parsley for garnish or 1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded (optional, depending on the heat you want!

Directions

Measure out the ingredients

Place ingredients into the blender, liquid first (excluding the water)

Followed by the dry ingredients.  Add the water as you process, adding only what you need to create a creamy thick hummus.

 (if you have a high powered blender, you will need less water, if you have a more everyday use blender, you’ll want to use more.)