Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Golden Lentil and Rice Soup


It is almost a guarantee that if a recipe calls for ginger, it becomes one of my favorites, and I am starting to feel that way about Turmeric. The base and familiar taste of the basic curries that we love, it is becoming very popular around the natural / health food scene.  I just think it tastes good, if it is going to be good for me as well, that just makes it a win-win!

I made this soup for a lunch meal and planned on taking half to my parents, since it was so heavy in the "bean" dept, I didn't plan on giving Joseph any of it at all. But as it was cooking, he began to wander into the kitchen, "whatcha making?"  code for  - -  "I think I want some of that"

I said, "Lentil and rice soup, but don't worry, you don't have it eat it".  I guess once the pressure was off, that made it okay to try. So after I blended it smooth (and I did the entire soup, not just half), I dished him up a bowl with a scoop of brown jasmine rice (also brown rice isn't his favorite).  There was no way he was going to like this soup - absolutely no way. 

(Which are the last words of every kitchen chef who thinks that they know everything)


He LOVED it, he kept saying to me, "We need to eat like this All the time" 

For a vegetarian soup, it is very hearty and creamy. With the addition of the brown rice, you won't need a huge bowl to feel really full. And you'll stay full and have tons of energy that lasts without having that "Oh my gosh!, I am So full" feeling.  

If it is too thick for you once you have it blended, go ahead and add a bit more water to thin it out, of you can add chicken or vegetable broth if you want.