Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bringing the Casserole Back


I have a confession to make: I love casseroles. I didn't make very good ones, and therefore, I didn't make them at all. But I love hearty, warm casseroles.



Casseroles are a comfort food for me; they are filled with lots of happy memories, and also filled with great flavors and yummy things.  My grandma made casseroles, and she would always bring one down to our family. I remember how much we loved to pick off the toppings while we were setting the table and getting ready to eat. I remember the warning to “be careful--the dish is hot” and having to place a trivet on the table so it wouldn't burn the plastic table cloth. (Did I just confess too much there?)

My mom didn't make casseroles, and so I don’t remember her ever teaching me how to make them. When I first got married, I got a church cookbook as a gift, and it had recipes for strange and delicious casseroles galore. It was like I had been given the secret Indiana Jones diary, and I was about to find the Holy Grail of noodles, rice and sauce. 

Somewhere along the way I stopped making them. I am not sure why. But just like Justin Timberlake, I am Bringing Sexy Back, and by Sexy, I mean Casserole!!

I got a handout from my Food $ense Menu Planning Class. (Side note: contact the person on this list closest to you and find out when your local classes are—you will NOT regret it.) So I got my handout for Create a Casserole, and I have been experimenting away.  I have even tried things not on the list–quinoa was a success, as was the barley! I told my kids it was “special rice.” They adore rice. I have only used canned chicken, canned tuna, and beans as the proteins because I wanted it to be as easy as possible, and I am trying to create a list of pantry meals that I can make quick and fast. This requires I use things I know I have on hand.


I think I will establish a weekly “Casserole Night.” I like feeding my family healthy, yummy food, but I also really like knowing I am creating memories for them and giving us moments together; and all because of noodles, rice and sauce. And “be careful—the dish is hot!”