Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins

I was browsing Pinterest the other day and came across a good looking recipe for Banana Quinoa muffins. As I have told you before, we like us some banana bread here, so I thought I might try them out, since the Crunchy Banana muffins were such a wild success.

But I didn't save the recipe and then I couldn't find the one that I was remembering and I came across Pumpkin Quinoa muffins - that sounded even better! So I decided today that I was going to make those.  The recipe is adapted from This recipe originally.  But honestly, both recipes were a little "fancy" and overly complicated for me.






So here is what I did:

First: I cooked the Quinoa, It was early in the day and early into the cooking, so I was feeling creative and spry and I put cinnamon in my water to make it extra yummy.

Just cook yours according to the water / grain ratio on the package, it will most likely be 1 cup water to 1/2 cup quinoa. I added a liberal shake of cinnamon because I like my pumpkin goodies to be full of spice.

Second: I started to mix my dry ingredients. The original recipe calls for "Whole Wheat Pastry Flour"  I don't know who has the time to find that and then the money to purchase a whole wheat flour specifically for pastries (although I am sure it is useful and delicious). I used my regular old flour mixture which is 1/2 unbleached all purpose flour to 1/2 Whole Wheat flour.

I have seen a few recipes that call for a flax mix as an egg substitute and that seemed complicated and unnecessary. I don't mind eggs in my baked goods.

Then: The baby decided she was done with her breakfast and ready to get out of her highchair. Baking for the internet had lost its appeal. My camera on my phone was taking horrible photos and I was frustrated that I don't have a big beautiful cooking blog kitchen.  I threw the rest of the ingredients in the bowl.  I didn't make buttermilk, I didn't add any seeds - I added chocolate chips instead. Mini ones - because I am "fancy" like that.


They turned out GREAT! Seriously, L was chomping at the bit staring into the oven counting the seconds until the kitchen timer beeped. He ate them hot out of them oven and declared them the most delicious things ever. And that was high praise indeed. He adores the store bought pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, so much in fact that he got a package of them for his birthday.

Here is my altered recipe:  ( Which I doubled!)

SERVINGS

Makes 12 muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups quinoa, cooked and drained (remember I cooked mine with cinnamon in the water)
2 eggs
3/4 cup canned pumpkin - Not pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Chips!

PREPARATION
Bake at 375 for 15-17 minutes depending on how full you filled your muffin tins (which I know you greased)