Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Super Grump



It is hard at times with all the social media outlets available to us to not become a big public complainer. The economy is hard and money is tight, jobs are stressful and kids are tough to raise. We are bombarded with images of people who have brand news cars and huge houses, who wear designer clothes and who's kitchen sparkle and probably smell lemon fresh all the time.
It is easy to blow up twitter with tweets of how frustrated I am with my kids, or how angry I am at the inconsiderate drivers on the road. I am intrigued by how easy it is to be miserable - and how much misery really does love company.
There is a fine line to walk when putting parts of your life out there for the world to read and see and examine. I want to share real emotions with you, but I also don't want the majority of those emotions be when I am frustrated. (And there are days when I am frustrated a lot!) 

The other side of the line is portraying myself as some kind of supermom. We all know who those women are. They go to the gym early and teach the class there, they come home and make their kids steel cut oatmeal that they soaked the night before - and their kids are so perfect they don't even want butter or sugar in their oatmeal - they want fresh cut fruit (which supermom also remembered to buy). She decorates for every holidays and sends themed treats to school with catchy sayings on them made with scrapbook paper.
So this blog and online presence is an experiment for me, I used to blog daily and was quite prolific in writing, but due to some big life changes I have taken an almost three year break. I love sharing, I love thinking that perhaps there is some mom out there that says, "yup, that is the way it is - and I can try again tomorrow too".  

For all the reality we have on tv, there really isn't a lot of Real reality.  I don't get to swap my life with another mom and come home to appreciate my own mcmansion. I don't get to be a Real Housewife of Nowhere in Particular and have my closet filmed and women everywhere swoon with envy.  If my closet ever made it onto tv there would be some swooning, but not with jealousy.
I have the same life as you do, and it is both a beautiful life and the hardest thing I have ever done. I fight the big battles and the little ones too. And hopefully I rejoice in the big victories and the little ones.  I try to laugh everyday and with a little luck I only cry sometimes and that makes it a pretty good life.