Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Fluffy Bread Ordeal


I am pretty frustrated with the whole grain situation here in my little corner of the world. I looked at each of my three local grocery stores last month for any type of "flour" that wasn't wheat. All I found was a tiny, and I do mean tiny, bag of rice flour on the gluten free corner of the cereal aisle. I was pretty disappointed. 


This month I have looked for Barley. I checked all three stores again, and I found one box of instant barley and that was it.  Not a single bag of regular barley—the type I’d add to soups or cook in a normal way. I am frustrated by this!


While on the subject of griping about whole grains: The other day we were bread shopping at a different store than we normally buy our bread. We had stopped to pick up milk and baby food, and so we stopped on the bread aisle to pick that up instead of making a special trip. It would have been comical, if it wasn't so frustrating. 


When we first for married we were different types of bread people, my kids had always eaten "brown bread" or wheat bread. My husband's kids were "Wonder Kids" meaning they ate the fluffiest of the white bread. We have had a hard time mixing the two. My kids don't like the "sticky" white bread, and his kids don't like the "scratchy" wheat bread. Oy Vey! It is the little things that will drive you crazy, isn't it?
So my husband picked out a loaf of brown bread and I said, "Be sure it says whole grain.” He replied, "It does, it says whole wheat," and I got the opportunity to teach a little bit and explain that whole wheat does NOT mean whole grain. We ended up buying a fluffy white bread that was 30% whole grain. And I ended up secretly resolving that I was not going to run out of bread and be forced to buy what I had already decided against. I wasn't going to wean my family off it all over again!