Monday, April 8, 2013

Another sign of Spring


We have been working hard in the yard here at our house, planning and getting ready to put in our first garden. 

My grandparents had a huge garden when I was growing up, and I have fond memories of picking peas and carrots and eating fresh tomatoes and berries. It seems everything just tastes a little better (and some things taste a LOT better) when you grow them yourselves. 

We are lucky enough that here at our house we have a garden space. This is the first time we have had one and the first time the timing has worked out that we will be able to plant something in it. (Our move in July last year earned us nothing but a garden full of weeds.) 

So we have been working to get the garden soil ready and planning what we want to grow. I would like to grow peas, lettuce and some herbs; the kids want to grow carrots and watermelon. 

This is a first for all of us; my own parents were never big garden people. They helped my grandparents a lot, but they never really caught the "gardening bug." My dad will grow pumpkins and garlic most years, but I think it is mostly from the peer pressure of his friends than a love of gardening. 

If you are like me and have no idea where to start, I have done some research for you that I am going to share - and you are going to LOVE me for it! 

This is the best place to start. It is home-base for our state gardening extension.  This site is the Food $ense of gardening. Things are going to be very different if you are gardening down in Dixie as opposed to Cache Valley.  This site has all kinds of classes depending on what level you are and what you're trying to do in your garden. It has everything from basic planting, to container gardening, to a class that I am looking forward to—Family Gardening.   They have tips for the month, so you know what you need to be doing now.  This is a really great place to start, and the information is specific to your local needs.