Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lettuce Wraps


One of the greatest uses for lettuce is as a wrap.  I don’t know about you, but lettuce wraps are one of my favorite appetizers in the world, and they are fantastic to make at home.

I also use lettuce to mix it up with my kids when they are tired of sandwiches or burritos; we have wraps.  It is a sneaky way to cut out grains that aren’t so good for you and add an additional vegetable.  And if you are making lettuce wraps you can slip a whole lot of chopped veggies into that mix. I sometimes even add chopped apples, as well as bell peppers and shredded carrots.
If your kids still want the tortilla part of the wrap, save yourself the time and effort of chopping lettuce and just lay the lettuce leaf on the tortilla and wrap it up that way. You could even toss in a few unnoticed spinach leaves that way.

Almost anything that can be put on a bun or between slices of bread can be added to a wrap. I say almost anything, because I am not sure I would want to eat peanut butter and jelly on lettuce. But who knows, maybe my kids would.