Friday, April 12, 2013

What bad habits are costing me

It has almost been two weeks since I started my behavior challenge at work and decided to give up soda. Well, I actually decided to cut back on soda, but I have ended up not having any at all. It was much easier for me to just cut it out of my routine than try and cut back on what I was consuming.

I very much would enjoy the ritual of going to the local convenience store, getting out of my house and saying "hi" to the clerks. It made a nice break in my day. I would usually do it as a reward for finishing a task that I had set out for myself to accomplish.

It has been both easier and harder than I expected to give up soda. I haven't really missed the actual drink, but I have very much missed the ritual of it. Anyway, I am doing pretty good, I am very glad that I set the goal to just cut my consumption in half and that has given me a little bit of freedom to make choices about what I wanted to consume, instead of saying "none" and then feeling deprived.

As another incentive, and one that I hadn't realized is that I have saved a little bit of money. I didn't do refill cups and so my habit was costing me almost 2.00$ a day. And that was at a minimum, if I had kids with me it was usually more than that as they always wanted something too. It has been a little bit shocking to see the money not disappear so fast out of my wallet.

Do you have a habit that is costing your wallet as well as your health?  I read this article this morning about the cost of convenience treats and fast food. I didn't realize how much those few dollars can add up so quickly. When this challenge ends this is going to give me a lot more incentive to keep up with my better behaviors and not only save my health, but perhaps save for a new pairs of shoes too!