Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Leftovers Yeah! or Yuck?

So here we all sit after a long holiday weekend, probably with fridges bursting full of leftovers and food from the parties that we attended. I have such a complicated relationship with leftovers, I don't love then, I feel like I shouldn't hate them, I don't want to transfer my issues with them to my children and my husband loves them. Who would have thought that food sitting already cooked and ready to eat in containers in my fridge could cause such an emotional reaction.

I don't know why I have such an issue with them, you would think that someone that dislikes cooking as much as I do that I would adore having something already made in the fridge.

I want my kids to like them because it means so much less waste and easier quick dinners if I can just say, "hey! grab that leftover taco meat and make yourself a burrito".

My husband is all about not ever throwing away food. He paid good money for it, and it needs to be eaten. I agree, but it is much harder for me when I have to be the one doing the eating.

So for those of you who love leftovers and those of you who are a little reluctant today Food $ense and I have some leftover hints and tips for you to make it a much better experience (for all of us).

Tip #1 - Label your leftovers - Say what they are and when they were made.


  This may seem a little simple, I bet almost none of us do it, and then we end up in the most dreaded of all leftover situations, "what is THIS and when did it take up residence in this fridge?"  Use a strip of masking tape, or do what I do and use a Post-it.

Tip # 2 - Know how long they can stay. Here is a quick bit of information on how long to keep things. And this is a good basic rule to follow - Four days is a good number, if you don't think you will be able to eat it in that time then put it in the freezer instead of the fridge.  If you are going to freeze it, be sure you follow tip #1 and label it, or you may never remember what it is.

Tip #3 - Know how to handle them correctly.  Here is some information on that:

Handling leftovers
  • Before and after handling leftovers, wash your hands as well as all utensils, dishes and work surfaces with hot soapy water.
  • Keep foods out of the danger zone, between 4°C (40°F) and 60°C (140°F) to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
  • Throw away any cooked food left in the danger zone for more than two hours.
  • Never rely on your nose, eyes or taste buds to judge the safety of food. You cannot tell if food is contaminated by its look, smell or taste. When in doubt, throw it out!
Cooling leftovers
  • Refrigerate all hot leftovers promptly in uncovered, shallow containers so they cool quickly.
  • Very hot items can first be cooled at room temperature. Refrigerate once steaming stops.
  • Leave the lid off or wrap loosely until the food is cooled to refrigeration temperature.
  • Avoid overstocking the refrigerator to allow cool air to circulate freely.
Storing leftovers
  • Always use a clean container to hold leftovers, or wrap leftovers in leak-proof plastic bags to prevent cross-contamination. Keep different types of leftovers separate.
  • Eat refrigerated leftovers within 2 to 3 days, or freeze them for later use.
  • Date leftovers to help identify the contents and to ensure they are not stored too long.
Defrosting leftovers
  • Thaw frozen leftovers in the refrigerator or in the microwave. Ensure food is properly sealed.
  • Use the defrost setting of your microwave and make sure leftovers are completely defrosted before reheating.
  • Consume or cook the leftovers immediately after they have thawed.
Reheating leftovers
  • Reheat leftovers to a safe internal temperature of 74ºC (165ºF).
  • Use a digital food thermometer to check the temperature.
  • Bring gravies, soups and sauces to a full, rolling boil and stir during the process.
  • Discard uneaten leftovers after they have been reheated.
Reheating in a microwave
  • Use only containers and plastic wrap designed for use in the microwave.
  • Loosen the lid or wrap to allow steam to escape.
  • Stop the microwave midway through reheating and stir the food so that the heat is evenly distributed.
  • Rotate the plate several times during cooking if your microwave does not have a rotating tray.
It’s estimated that there are approximately 48 million cases of food-related illnesses in the United States every year 3000 of whom will die.  Many of these illnesses could be prevented by following proper food handling and preparation techniques.