Monday, August 5, 2013

Ugh... Guilt!

I am feeling a heaping dose of "Mommy Guilt" lately. We started out the summer so good, and I started it out with such good intentions. You know what they say about good intentions, if you don't, They say "good intentions paved the road to hell". they also say, "you know what they say".

But back to my Mommy Guilt and the reasons that it is plaguing me. I was doing so good before summer started with eating healthy and taking care of myself and my family. I had cut out soda, which was an Olympic sized feat for me. I was menu planning and we were on our way to not just eating more fruits and veggies, but to cutting out processed foods of all kinds. Now we are noshing on corn dogs for lunch and boxed mac and cheese for dinner. I am so ashamed! My kids think they are back in heaven, but I feel like crap, I notice their moods are different and our whole lifestyle has changed.  "Ooooh what has brought us to this looooowly place."

It is disappointing to be disappointed in yourself, to know that you can do better and be better, but that you haven't. I guess that is also the good thing about change. You always can.

School starts soon here, in two weeks, but I am ready for the change now. And so that means I get out my menu planning notebook. I have just been doing it in my weekly calendar, or I said I was going to, and then I didn't in my weekly calendar.  I wrote down all the days of the week and then lunch and dinner because I have really been struggling with lunches. Then I double checked our calendar for the week and made any notes that I needed to on our meal plans - nights we wouldn't be home until late or had practices or even things like Dr. appointments during the day that would affect our schedule. And then I started to meal plan. I asked the kids each what they would like to eat and then I only had a few nights to fill in myself.

Now I need to head to the grocery store with my shopping list and I need to be strong with myself. The kids aren't buying those bags of M&M's and they aren't buying those boxes of frozen pizzas or the sugary breakfast cereals.

And then all I need to do is stick to the plan. I am better at sticking to the plan when I actually have one, and I do again. And so here we go. It is a new month, a new week, a new day - no better time than to start than right now.