Saturday, August 3, 2013

Hooray! Hooray! It is Watermelon Day!

August 3rd is National Watermelon day, did you know? I didn't until this morning when I read it on twitter. Lucky for me I happen to have a lovely watermelon sitting on my kitchen counter just begging to be eaten!

I love watermelon in the summer, it is the ultimate summer food. It just says hot days and warm nights when it doesn't get dark until 10 o'clock.  I love the ritual of slicing into in and the smell of a ripe one that almost is dark red all the way to the rind.

When I was little we used to put them in the cold creek when we were camping to make it extra icy and delicious. Did you do that too? Back then all watermelons had seeds and we used to have the best time spitting them at each other while the juices ran down our arms and chins.

Now I just need to decide if I am going to eat this watermelon today plain in all of its summer sweet glory or should I make something out of it and try something new.

Did you know there was a National Watermelon Association, and a watermelon queen, even a Watermelon.org! The LA Times has 6 recipes they spotlighted to celebrate National Watermelon Day.
I think the Watermelon Agua Fresca sounds fantastic. I browsed Food $ense because watermelon is one of the spotlight fruits of the month.

I think the Watermelon salad that is first on the list sounds like just the thing to make today.