Friday, September 6, 2013

Quick Bread with Spelt Flour and Applesauce

I wish you could smell how amazing this is smelling. 

I seem to be accumulating summer squash at an alarming rate around here. I don't even have a garden, but somehow I have the stuff coming out my ears. 

Oh so much Yellow Squash

I think the kids (and myself included) are getting a little tired of the them stuff. That means there is only one thing left to do - 
Bake with it! 

 I got some spelt flour in the mail yesterday. It happens to be the grain of the month at Food $ense.     I have never used it before, I have actually only heard of it a few times. So I have a lot to learn about it.  How exciting is this you are going to be learning right along with me. 

Spelt,  also known as Dinkel wheat or hulled wheat, has been around since medieval times, but has recently found begun to flourish as a health food.  It has a good amount of nutrients, but still contains gluten so it is suitable for baking. It makes particularly good flat breads because they can become crisp without becoming hard. 

Here is my first attempt at baking with Spelt Flour. 

Ingredients 

3 eggs, beaten
2 cups white sugar
1 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Spelt Flour
1 1/2 cups regular flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 cups shredded summer squash

Directions


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease two loaf pans.

In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Gradually mix in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold in the squash. Transfer to the prepared baking dishes.

Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.