Friday, September 27, 2013

The Happiness of a Well-Stocked Pantry

One of the best things you can do to save money on your food budget, meal plan and reduce dinner time stress is have a well-stocked pantry. With this recent move, my pantry has saved my butt. (for the record, I typed "panty" both times in that paragraph and then wrote "saved my butt" - when I reread it I laughed so hard I snorted). 

Back to the well-stocked Pantry!, money has been little tight around here with all the things you need to get a house up a running. And as you all know, the first thing to get slashed is the food budget. Lucky for me, I had just moved my pantry twice so I knew exactly what I did and didn't have.  Pasta, rice beans, canned chicken and tuna, all of these can be amazing starters for healthy, low-cost meals and they are sitting right there on the shelf waiting for you to choose them. 

Here is a fabulous master list from Frugal Living. Now, you don't have to go out and buy it all at once, that sorta ruins the idea of it being budget-friendly. But keep in mind when you are shopping and find pasta one sale, but an extra one (or two) for the pantry. 

Here is another list, this time for Eating Well. It tends to run more along the health food lines, but we are trying to eat more healthy, so it is a good list to go over and see what your family is in need of. 

Last, and certainly not least, Here is a list from Martha Stewart. But it is crazy long and unless you have the space that Martha Stewart has in her pantry, you probably won't be buying all that stuff anyway. 

If none of this lists work for you, there are about 100 to choose from if you google "pantry list".  I could sit and look at the lovely lists all day long.  Maybe it is time to be sure I am practicing what I preach and be sure I have everything I need. I think we are running low on rice.