Friday, January 17, 2014

Zucchini Chips and Caramelized Onion Dip

Today I was feeling a little snacky and so decided to whip up some chips and dip.  I made the dip first so it would have some time to let the flavors mingle together while I made the chips (which took longer than I expected. 

First I followed the Food $ense recipe for caramelized onions. I don't know if you need a recipe for this once you have done it, but I am sharing for all of us that this is a first time for. 

Sautéed and Caramelized Onions 
2 tablespoons olive oil 
8 yellow onions, thinly sliced 

Heat oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until onions reach desired degree 
of doneness (see chart), stirring occasionally. If you want caramelized onions, reduce heat and cook 
longer. 
5 minutes – translucent, wilted, strong onion flavor 
15 minutes – pale golden color, soft, onion flavor 
30+ minutes – brown color, very soft, sweet flavor 
45+ minutes – dark brown color, jam-like texture, caramelized flavor 
Use on and in anything where you desire flavor. Examples – omelets, sandwiches, burritos, pasta. 




I cooked mine for about 30 minutes, they ended up a little bit darker than here in the photo.

 After they were done cooking, I just added all the ingredients to a bowl and popped it into the fridge.


2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups diced onions

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper  ( I just used regular black pepper) 
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt




Heat the oven to 200 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper, I happened to be out of that so I used foil. 

Slice your zucchini as thinly and uniformly as possible.  If you have a kitchen mandolin they are made just for jobs like this. But you don't need one, I used a kitchen knife and it did the job just fine. 

 Spray your cookie sheet with cooking oil and then place all your zucchini in a single layer on the tray. 


Spray the tops with cooking oil and lightly season them. You can use just salt and pepper if you would like, I have a seasoning salt mix that I used.  Let them cook in the oven for an hour and then rotate the cookie sheet, cook for another hour, but start checking for desired doneness around an hour and 45 minutes total time.

 They come out crispy and delicious and ready for dipping. (or not - they are perfect on their own too.



I really should have made more of these than I did.