Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Shrimp with Asparagus over Noodles


I was driving in my car today and hear a local radio station run an advertisement for a grocery store that has "fresh spring asparagus" on sale.  That decided dinner right there. I didn't know what I was going to make, but it was for sure going to have some of the ultimate early spring vegetable in it. 

I decided on Shrimp with Asparagus because I was feeling like something light (and I had to have a bag of shrimp in my freezer that desperately needed to be used. 

Ingredients
2 (12 ounce packet) udon noodles (This is an easy substitution, you can use linguine or whole wheat spaghetti)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup asparagus, cut into 1” pieces
1 bell pepper, any color, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1/2 lb. shrimp, previously cooked, peeled, deveined
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1/2 cup of water
2 teaspoons sugar or brown sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 green onions, diced
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions
Cook the udon noodles according to package directions.

In a large skillet or wok up to medium-high heat, add the oil. Saute the broccoli, asparagus, bell pepper and garlic for 1-2 minutes. 

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, water, sugar and sesame oil. Add the shrimp and sauce mixture. Continue sautéing for another 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately topping with green onions and sesame seeds.



In a recipe like this the thing that ends up taking the most time (although Not a lot of time is the chopping) I had these veggies done before the noodle water was even boiling. 


 Toss the vegetables in for quick saute' and as soon as they reach their desired doneness, pop in your sauce and your shrimp to heat.  And dinner is done!


My very pickiest kid had three helpings of this.  I thought that I had made plenty because I was looking forward to some for lunch the next day, but he cleaned me out!  Never underestimate the amount of shrimp a teenage boy can eat.