Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Blueberry & Melon with Lemon Cream


I don't spend much time mentioning this around here, (because it really isn't so "healthy") but we are dessert people! Since the summer began we have consumed more popsicles and ice cream than probably should be legal. I could build the Taj Mahal out of little wooden popsicle sticks with the amount that we have acquired. 

My kids love sweets! - That means they adore fruit. I am lucky that they are open to the idea of eating healthy and taking care of their bodies. I found a recipe yesterday for a blueberry trifle with melon and a yogurt sauce that looked absolutely beautiful - it made my mouth water just looking at the pictures. 

INGREDIENTS
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
5.3 ounces (or thereabouts) lemon greek yogurt
1 large honeydew melon, cubed
1 pint blueberries, washed (or more if you'd like!)


INSTRUCTIONS
Using an electric mixer beat the cream cheese on high until soft and fluffy (about 1-2 minutes). Add lemon greek yogurt and mix until combined well.

Create trifle by layering melon, blueberries, and lemon cream in a large bowl or individual dessert dishes.


I don't have a big beautiful trifle dish, and no lovely clear glass glasses to display this in. So you get to see a picture of the fruit in a bowl. But don't let that deter you. This quick dish is amazing. It takes the longest to cut the melon and even that goes fast. (or you can get someone else to do it for you while you mix the sauce. I think the sauce would be amazing on all kinds of fruit. I would really like to try it with some honeydew and some raspberries (which are my favorite).