Monday, June 23, 2014

Gyros - Cook Once, Eat Twice



One of the greatest lessons that I have learned at Food $ense, is the concept of Cook Once, Eat Twice.  It sounds really simple (and super smart) once you start thinking about it. But sometimes it takes someone else pointing it out to us what a good idea it is for us to choose to make it a part of our lives. 

When I am menu planning, I am always on the look out for ways I can take short-cuts and make things easier on myself while I am trying to feed this pack of wild maniacs during the week. Can I cook a double batch of rice for use later in the week (one of my Most Favorite short-cuts), Can we have hot pasta for dinner and then a cold pasta salad for lunch? Will chopping all the veggies for now make tomorrow run a bit smoother? Cook Once, Eat Twice! It is a really great idea, especially if you aren't a huge fan of leftovers that taste the same as they did yesterday. 

When I decided to make Greek Style Chicken Kebabs, I knew I wanted enough leftover chicken to make these Gyro sandwiches. It wasn't going to be that much more work to marinate and cook the extra chicken (but it would make a HUGE difference the next day), so I planned on defrosting twice as much as I knew I was going to need for the kebabs. ( I didn't even double the marinade which I felt like saved me money too!) 


 The next day for lunch, all that was left to do make chop the cold chicken, make the Tzatziki and assemble the sandwiches. How easy is That!

Tzatziki:
6 oz low fat Greek Yogurt  ( I used the yogurt I had left from the Strawberry Lemon Cake
juice of 1/2 of a medium lemon
1 med cucumber, peeled
3 large cloves garlic, minced
Garlic Salt, to taste
Cracked Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Slice cucumber in half, length wise. Using a spoon, scrape out seeds. Finely shred cucumber and place in paper towels and squeeze out extra moisture.

Then combine Greek yogurt, lemon juice, shredded cucumber, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper. Refrigerate in a air tight container for 1 hour before serving.

 Then you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. Two of my kids went bonkers for these. They insisted that, "you need to cook like this more often". - whatever that means.  They chicken went fast and gone in a flash. We had some extra pita pockets that got made into pizzas later in the day and the tzatziki got eaten on top of lettuce leafs and was gone before I even had to put it away. This is one definately going into the "win" column. Both the Greek Kebabs and Gyros are going to be a summer food staple around here.