Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Light and Creamy Cucumber Salad with Dill



We are in the middle of a cucumber boom right now.  They are coming out of the garden like a flash mob! I was thinking about classic cucumber salad, but wasn't feeling very happy about the sour cream and mayonnaise that the traditional recipe calls for. I decided to try it with just substituting greek yogurt for both and I am very pleased with the end result. It was Quite as creamy as the original, but I think the trade-off for such a healthy switch is definitely worth it. 



Here’s what you’ll need to make it yourself {serves about 6}

Ingredients
2 Large Cucumbers
1 cup of Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 of a medium sized red onion
about a 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
about a teaspoon each of sugar, salt and fresh black pepper



Slice your cucumber and red onion as thin as possible…If you have one,  put the cucumber down the tube of your food processor with the slicing blade and it does the work for you.  I don't have one, and I probably wouldn't want to clean it anyway, so I just use a cutting board and knife and try and get it as even as I can. 

Then I’ll slice the red onion. 



 In a small mixing bowl add your sugar, then the vinegar and mix together until it dissolves. Now add in the yogurt, garlic and dill, mix well. - I had some left over chives from making ranch dressing, so I added those too.  Don't worry if you don't have them. 


 Add your cucumbers and onions to your serving bowl and pour the dressing over top, toss together and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Refrigerate no more than an hour before serving so it wont get soggy.