Monday, July 14, 2014

Pineapple Mango Salsa


The pineapples at my local market have been fabulous lately! I have been buying one almost every time I have gone to the store. Since I absolutely love pineapple and I think they are a million ways to use it, I am just going to keep on buying them while they look beautiful and using them up anyway that I can. 


I am going to share with you the most delicious pineapple mango salsa. It turned out even better than I had hoped and after making it a day ahead of the time I planned to use it, the flavors had gotten deeper and melded together and created something that really was quite phenomenal. 


This is an amazingly simple recipe. And you can add or take away ingredients to your taste. I served it as a salsa for a sweet pork taco, but today I added a can of black beans and ate it as a salad. 


I used one fresh pineapple and one good sized ripe mango. I am not a raving mango fan, so I was fine using this amount. If you love mango, go ahead and use two. 


I used two jalapenos with the seeds and white membrane removed to reduce the heat a little bit. I still wanted it to have quite a bit of bite to it though. If  you don't enjoy your salsa quite so hot, maybe use one, see how you like it and then add another. You can always add more, but you can't take it out once it is in. 


I used a half of a large purple onion. I just adore the freshness and subtle heat that a sweet purple onion can add to a dish. (you can probably tell, sometimes it feels like I put them into everything!) 


 I added a red bell pepper for color and mild pepper flavor. You can use or a green one, (or any color for that matter), but I think the salad needed the red. (It was absolutely gorgeous! - But I hate that the colored bell peppers cost more)


One bunch of cilantro, cleaned and chopped. It just wouldn't be salsa at my house without a heaping bunch of cilantro. 


And finally the juice of two limes. This is the only "dressing" that you add to this salad. I didn't even add salt or pepper.


 We had some family over for dinner yesterday and this was the star of show. We ate it with sweet pork tacos and the flavors were incredible together. We also ate it with tortilla chips and I saw a few people eating plates of it like a salad. (yes! it was That good!)

This would be great with fish or shrimp tacos, as well as with added chicken or beans for a salad all on its own.

I think what makes it so wonderful is that all the ingredients are fresh, in season and at their own peak of flavor. Good ingredients just make good food. So when you are shopping keep your eyes open, especially when shopping for produce, for things that in season. This not only makes them more delicious and flavorful, but also less expensive to buy.

Happy Eating!