Saturday, August 16, 2014

Cantaloupe with Creamy Yogurt


One of the greatest things about food is the memories that we associate with it. Perhaps you have special memories of Christmas cookies or Thanksgiving potatoes. Maybe you have special memories of your dad making pancakes on Saturday mornings or a special after school cookie your mom made just for you. 

I have lots of food memories. I don't think I am alone in the fact that some foods bring up really special feelings for me. One of those foods is cantaloupe, specifically cantaloupe with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. My dear grandpa used love to sit down at night in the summer with a half a cantaloupe melon with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. He probably would never have been able to eat the whole thing if we grand kids didn't gather around him like little birds with our mouths wide open. He was lucky to have us. 


Now that I am all grown up, one of my most favorite summer treats is cantaloupe with honey vanilla greek yogurt. I could (and sometimes do) eat it daily and eating ice cream that much isn't good for anybody. So this healthy substitution takes what feels like a special childhood dessert and makes it something I would happily serve my family as a healthy breakfast.


This is one "treat" in our family that I am more than happy to continue the tradition of eating. That is one of the greatest things about making healthy choices for yourself. You are creating positive memories and good habits for your kids and your family.