Monday, August 11, 2014

Fresh Raspberry Pancakes


Oh, late weekend mornings, how I love and adore you. Sleeping in and then eating a fabulous breakfast has got to be one of the finest luxuries in the whole entire world. 


I am always on the hunt for amazing fresh fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I wander the farmer's market or the produce section of my local grocery store examining (and sniffing) all the produce that is available. I sure I look pretty silly sometimes, but I don't care. When you find something that is as fantastic as these raspberries were, it is totally worth it!


I am not the regular pancake chef here at our house, my husband is. He is the king of pancakes. He gets up early (and wakes up hungry), the kids know if they are awake and request pancakes - they'll get them. Our 5 year old could eat them everyday of the week. 

Most mornings it is just quick-mix and a little bit of water and onto the griddle. The kids don't mind and since most days I am still in bed at this point, I don't mind either. 


But on lazy weekend mornings when we are making pancakes together and we are wanting to do something special - pancakes from scratch are the ONLY way to go. For something that makes such a huge difference, I don't think pancakes from scratch are all that hard. And they don't taste anything at all like the mix-made ones. 


Ingredients
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 egg, beaten lightly
1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup fresh raspberries



Directions
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and soda. (Add a pinch of salt if desired.) Set aside.

In large bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg, butter and milk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Fold in raspberries. ( I decided to just drop mine in, in hindsight, I think mixing them into the batter is probably a much better idea)



Heat a griddle over moderately high heat; brush with additional melted butter. Drop scant 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto griddle; cook for 1 minute or until bubbles form on top. Turn and cook 1 minute more.

Since the raspberries were so large and I just dropped them onto the pancake, when I flipped the pancake to cook the second side, it wasn't able to touch the pan and didn't cook. The raspberries burned and the pancake stayed gooey and doughy. I was relieved of pancake cooking duties after this.


Here is my husband's much butter plan to cut the raspberries into slices and put them in at the very beginning so they could sink into the batter and the pancake would stay flat. 


 We served ours with more fresh raspberries, butter and syrup. You could serve them with raspberry jam and powdered sugar too.






+