Friday, August 8, 2014

Strawberry Ice Pops - Without a Mold


Last summer we had a Popsicle mold that my mother-in-law bought the kids at the dollar store. It was their favorite kitchen tool and they were making Popsicles almost every single day.  There was a real down side though. This mold only held four little frozen treats (and I have a lot more kids than that). And we ran into the problem of whoever made the treats thought they were the "boss" of them and didn't have to share. (Ya gotta love kids, right?) 

It wasn't long before the mold started breaking. We lost the handles that you put into the top one by one, and I was not sad to see it go when the last one finally broke. I have considered a few times buying a new one, but I haven't seen one at the store that suits our needs. Plus, I have been a little undecided about whether I am ready to accept the drama into my life again. 

So when I happened upon this recipe, I was really excited to try it. I could make plenty and they would be lots better than the frozen Kool-aid my kids were so fond of making. I was also very excited about the easy technique. Usually there is a lot of hassle involved with getting the sticks to stay in the ice pop, but waiting just an hour for them to freeze and then putting the sticks in, is a magical solution. 

These took about 5 minutes to whip up and will definitely be a summer staple in our freezer. 


Strawberry Yogurt Ice Pops  (makes 10 pops, depending on the size cup you use)
Prep Time: 5 mins,Rating:

Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
1 cup plain greek yogurt ( I just had regular vanilla yogurt - so I used that. I thought it was great!)
1 cup diced fresh strawberries ( I had a bag of frozen mixed berries and cherries - I used those)
3 tablespoons honey
2-3 extra strawberries, to slice into rounds for garnish, if desired



Preparation
1. In a blender place 1 cup strawberries, milk, yogurt and honey and blend for 1 minute until smooth.
2. Place a strawberry slice in the bottom of a 3 ounce dixie cup. Repeat with the other cups.



3. Fill each cup 3/4 of the way full with the strawberry yogurt mixture and place them in the freezer.


3. Remove cups from the freezer after 1 hour and stick a popsicle stick into the center of each cup. (I didn't actually remove the cups. I just opened the freezer and poked them in) 



4. Place cups back in the freezer and let freeze for an additional 4-6 hours.
5. Remove cups from freezer, peel off the paper and serve immediately!


 Yes! They taste as good as they look. If I had the room in my freezer, I would make enough to sell them from a stand in my front yard and make a killing! Plus, with the ingredients being so healthy, I don't cringe every time I see one of my kids sneaking into the freezer to grab another one.